UMX is a smartphone model provided by Assurance Wireless. Besides, Assurance Wireless is a federally managed Lifeline Assistance program that aims to provide free or subsidized telecommunication services to low-income families. If you apply for Lifeline or the Affordable Connectivity Program through Assurance Wireless, you can get a free UMX government phone. Additionally, low-income families receive free unlimited texting, monthly data, and free monthly minutes.
However, enrollment for a UMX phone from the government is available to individuals who qualify following their federal or state-specific eligibility criteria. The first eligibility criterion that qualifies a household member is participation in some public-aided programs, including Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Again, you can qualify following your gross annual household income if it meets the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Moreover, you must submit proof of program participation or proof of income when applying for UMX free phone. You must attach your proof of eligibility with your Assurance Wireless UMX phone application. Also, it’s a requirement to submit a copy of an official document featuring your name in full, date of birth, and address, among other crucial details. The other eligibility documents should show that you earn a low income or are a participant in a government assistance program.
Qualifications for UMX Government Phone
Like any Federally Managed initiative, you must meet the qualifications requirements to apply for a UMX phone from the government. Ideally, eligibility in Lifeline or the Affordable Connectivity Program(ACP) gives you a direct pass to apply for a government phone.
i. Affordable Connectivity Program Eligibility
ACP is a newly launched program managed by the Federal Communication Commission that offer help to low-income families by providing them with free government smartphones, broadband services, and discount on connected devices. You can qualify for a UMX phone based on participation in the below government-supported programs:
- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)/CalFresh
- Special Supplemental Nutritional Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
On the other hand, you can qualify for a UMX government smartphone based on your income. In this case, your household income must be at or less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for the Affordable Connectivity Program eligibility.
ii. Lifeline Eligibility
Lifeline is a program that started in 1985 that provides telecommunication services to low-income families in the US. You can qualify for a UMX phone through Lifeline by participating In government Assistance program (s) that includes:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)/CalFresh
- Supplemental Security Income
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Head Start
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
Additionally, to qualify for a UMX phone from the government through the Lifeline program, you must have an income that falls at or less than 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Apply for a Phone From UMX
If you attain the eligibility requirements, you can start the application process for your UMX government phone. The first step is to visit https://nationalverifier.servicenowservices.com/lifeline and utilize the Lifeline National Verifier to check your eligibility. Then, it would help if you chose a wireless provider serving your state that offers UMX phones. You can start the application process at the carrier’s official website, and you must fill out and submit your application with proof of eligibility.
Most importantly, if you attain the set eligibility requirements, your application for a UMX phone from the government will be approved. You can wait for 5 to 10 business days, and your government phone will be delivered through the mail. You can use any of the below methods of application:
- Apply online at https://www.assurancewireless.com. If you opt to apply online, you should proceed to your preferred carrier’s site and submit your ZIP code on the empty field on your screen. Then, go to the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Contact Customer Care at 1-888-898-4888, and they’ll help you with your application.
- Speak to a representative in your neighborhood to assist you in applying. After the representative confirms that you are approved for Lifeline or ACP service, you will be issued a free UMX phone.
List of UMX Government Phones
Assurance Wireless provides various UMX phone models, including free Android smartphones, to qualifying low-income customers depending on availability. The list of UMX government phones provided by this carrier includes the following:
- 5.0″ Screen
- M4/T3 HAC Rating(hearing)
- 2MP Rear, VGA Front Camera
- 16GB ROM and 2GB RAM
- Android™ 9; Google Assistant
- Removable Li-ion 2000mAh Battery
- External memory: Supporting up to 128GB MicroSD
- 5.45″ FWVGA+ TFT LCD Display
- 5MP Rear, 2MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE & VoLTE
- Li-ion 2300mAh Battery
- Android™ 11 Go
- 16GB ROM/2GB RAM
- External memory: Supporting up to 256GB MicroSD
- HAC rating of M4/T3
iii. Unimax U683CL
- 5” Touchscreen Display with (854×480) TFT
- M4/T3 HAC Rating (hearing) impaired
- Bluetooth 4.1, Speakerphone, Calendar, Calculator, Access Public Wi-Fi, up to 64GB MicroSD Card support
- 2MP Rear Camera
- Removable Li-ion 2000mAh Battery (delivering up to 5 hours of talk time)
- 8GB ROM/1GB RAM
- Android Go Operating System
iv. Unimax U673c
- 4.0″ Touchscreen Display featuring (WVGA 480×800)
- M3/T3 HAC Rating(hearing) impaired
- Bluetooth 4.0, Speakerphone, Calendar, Calculator, Access Public Wi-Fi, up to 32GB MicroSD Card support
- Removable 1650mAh Battery (delivering up to 4 hours of talk time)
- 1.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Dual Camera (VGA and 2 Mega Pixel with flash)
- 8GB ROM/1GB RAM
UMX government phone program is offered by Assurance Wireless. The wireless Company offers Lifeline and ACP services to low-income Americans. You can qualify for a UMX phone through either of the programs if your income falls at or is below the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Besides, you can now qualify for a government phone if you participate in any government-aided program listed above. When applying for a UMX phone through Assurance Wireless, you must submit your proof of eligibility alongside your application.